Hi again Readers! The topic for today’s Let’s Talk Bookish, a weekly meme hosted by Eternity Books is…
February 28th Topic: What are your thoughts regarding reading challenges?
I have taken part in the Goodreads Reading Challenge where you choose a goal of the number of books you would like to read this year and have written a post about the Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019, where I had a look at what I had achieved in their requirements. I will go through some of the pros and cons of reading challenges in list form and give my verdict once I’ve had a bit of a think.
- I understand why readers can participate in these challenges as they can sometimes be fun
- If you’re in a bit of a reading slump they can give you motivation to keep reading
- Reading challenges can also allow you to widen your reading horizons and you might even find you enjoy different genres of books.
- They can also give you a sense of achievement. (if you finish ALL the prompts)
- Do you ever look at other readers goals and they are usually on the lines of something like 60-70 books? I am sure I am not the only one who does this, and it can sometimes make me feel pressured to read almost as much as them.
- I also find that Reading Challenges (particularly the Goodreads one) can make you rush through books so that you can check that one off and move on to the next.
- It is satisfying finishing a book but this stressful mindset defeats the purpose of reading and you aren’t really enjoying it like you did before and you may have unnecessary stress.
- If you really enjoy classic books, for example, and the majority of the prompts on a reading challenge are ‘read contemporary fiction’ and it’s not one of your favorite genres at all I think why waste your time reading something you know you won’t enjoy, for the sake checking a box.
- You may also feel let down if you don’t reach you’re goal.
I think for me personally I don’t like the stress reading challenges bring and that is enough to put me off them. I do like the idea of bringing different kinds of books into your shelf though. However, yeah, I don’t like reading challenges. I like what I did at the start of this year with the Popsugar Reading Challenge 2019 and seeing what I actually checked off without meaning too. I think I will do that again and if you also aren’t a fan of reading challenges maybe you could do a similar thing to what I did.
What do you think?
- What are some of the best reading challenges out there?
- What’s your opinion on this topic?
- Are you taking part in any challenges? If so, which ones?
Let’s Talk Bookish is a weekly meme hosted by Eternity Books.